In this article, we will see how to create a CI/CD pipeline for APIGEE API proxies. I have referred a couple of articles on APIGEE community on the same topic. Those gave some idea on how to setup CI/CD pipeline for API proxies. Here are the tools which I have used to setup CI/CD.
Make sure that you have created APIGEE edge account and a sample proxy to start with. Below is the architecture diagram which shows the CI/CD pipeline and the stages involved. You can use this as a baseline CI/CD for your projects and can enhance it based on your requirements.
Here are the steps I have implemented in CI/CD pipeline.
- Developer pushes the API proxy code to GIT.
- Jenkins polls GIT and starts CI/CD Stage 1 based on GIT changes.
- As part of Stage 1, the code will be pulled into the workspace.
- In “Static Code Analysis” stage, the code will be analyzed for any violations of best code practices and anti-patterns usage. If this stage is the success it proceeds with the build stage. After each stage completion either success or failure, the notification will be sent to Slack channel.
- As part of the build stage, we will create APIGEE API proxy bundle.
- In the Deploy stage, I used APIGEE management APIS to deploy the API proxy bundle.
- Once the deployment is successful, then the integration tests will be triggered. I used Newman to do integration tests. Newman requires integration tests collection file as input. The test cases can be created easily with Postman
- In all the stages the notifications will be triggered to Slack channel.
There are some enhancements which I will do in the coming days. Below are some of the changes which I will target as enhancements.
- Adding email, Hipchat notifications
- Revert the API proxy to a previous revision if the integration tests fail.
- If integration tests success, promote build to load test environment and run load test scripts.
The setup and project used as part of this article are available on GitHub. Till then, Spread love for APIs!!!
Hi Siva, I feel this is very informative post! Hope to read more. Also I might need help, Would you connect sometime?
Hi Siva can you please suggest how we can integrate APIGEE with GITLAB CI/CD Pipeline
I don’t think there is much difference. You can find some examples here https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/examples/README.html#contributed-examples
Hi Siva Prasad,
Need your support to implement.Can you please give me contact number.
You can post your questions here. I can answer
In our organization we use apigee.We just build and deploy our Apis. To implement Devops with CI\CD in our ogranization what are the tools required and how to make Devops enabled
I hope you might be created proxies with APIGEE edge and the zipped proxy bundles might be deployed to other environments. Below are the tools I used to build CI/CD for APIGEE proxies.
APIGEE Management APIs
Hi Siva, In our organization, we use apigee tool. We just build and deploys apis. To make my organization devops and CI\CD enabled which tools are required.
Thanks for the information. What plugin is used in Jenkins to build APigee? How the unittest cases are executed in Jenkins for Apigee?
I have used APIGEE management APIS for deployment. Any other plugin is not required for APIGEE with Jenkins. For unit tests, you can use cucumber.